· Home Page
· Alumni website
The purpose of John A. Gupton College is to provide a basic liberal arts education as well as a professional curriculum in funeral arts and sciences. The course of study leads to the Associate of Arts Degree or a Funeral Directors Certificate. The liberal arts component is equally designed to serve as the foundation for the pursuit of other degrees.
John A. Gupton College has adopted two (2) primary objectives in order to achieve the purpose of the institution. These objectives are:
- John A. Gupton College is committed to providing basic liberal arts educational opportunities:
- by providing a curriculum consisting of general educational components
- by assisting students in the selection of an honorable profession
- by providing opportunities for students to strengthen their skills in communication, both in writing and speaking
- by familiarizing the student with significant accomplishments in the arts and sciences
- by providing an environment of cultural and social diversity
- by emphasizing the need for lifetime physical and psychological well-being
- by emphasizing logical thinking and fiscal responsibility
- John A. Gupton College is committed to the development of funeral service professionals:
- by providing a curriculum in funeral service arts and sciences
- by providing first-hand clinical experiences in embalming and restorative art
- by placing the student in an off-campus practicum under the supervision of a preceptor
- by graduating students who are marketable in the funeral profession
- by preparing students to be able to perform satisfactorily on exams for professional licensure
Within the philosophy of educating the total person, Gupton College strives to achieve the following goals as expressed by the American Board of Funeral Service Education:
- To enlarge the background and knowledge of students about the funeral service profession.
- To educate students in every phase of funeral service, and to help enable them to develop the proficiency and
skills necessary of the profession, as defined in the Preamble above.
- To educate students concerning the responsibilities of the funeral service profession to the community at large.
- To emphasize high standards of ethical conduct.
- To provide a curriculum at the post secondary level of instruction.
- To encourage research in the field of funeral service.